Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Self-Disclosure and Feedback: Some Transparency

"When an interviewer effectively self-discloses or provides feedback, the here and now atmosphere of the interview becomes more immediate, personal and real."

-Ivey, Ivey and Zalquett



I think it is very important for relationships to be transparent. From your marriage, life-partner, friends, parents....even to your clients, there should be very little, if any, muddy water between the individuals. So, full disclosure would have its own place in my counseling methodology, especially in my beginning practice. Seeing what clients are receptive to in your sessions are part of building your skills set and I think the first step in that process is disclosing your intent, but also for establishing respect, rapport and general well being in your relationship with your client. I like that the text addresses disclosure as balancing the scales to reach a more egalitarian relationship in the counseling setting. However, I do wonder how much disclosure would influence an particular outcome. For example, like the text states that doctors inform a patient about if, how much a procedure will be painful. It seems important to take into account, through careful observation how much this statement and subsequent "planting of seed" would influence the outcome and feelings of pain experience or perceived by a patient. Similarly, with a client, I think it crucial to observe whether your disclosure may influence a client's feelings or decisions in one way or another.

As for self-disclosure, I know that this is an area to which I will struggle. I have no problem sharing personal stories and am comfortable doing so, but I fear that I will share too much. I want to strive for an egalitarian atmosphere in my sessions but I think it counterproductive to tip the scale too far. If a counselor reaches a certain level with a client then the respect may be lost. Self-disclosure seems an art that has to be mastered, like oil painting. The practice can be exercised in full with some clients and others may need a more objective person. I think a counselor will have a gut reaction with each client as to how much they can disclose about themselves and to what degree is appropriate at what time. The combination of disclosure and self-disclosure would seem advantageous to both parties, though. Particularly, when addressing empathy, sympathy and cultural, gender, age or experience differences, a counselor can openly address that while one is coming from a place of understanding, that they are doing their best to fully comprehend. Using both disclosure and self-disclosure will be best when clients ask for advice.

Continuing with a discussion of transparency, feedback also plays and important role. We talk in detail about feedback in my education classes. After rapport is established, feedback keeps the relationship growing and progressing. Both client and counselor benefit when a continuous flow of feedback is fostered, after all, a static relationship goes stagnant because life in general is dynamic!

No comments:

Post a Comment