Monday, January 23, 2012

Counseling: it is innate.

"Like the athlete, musician, or artist you begin with natural talent, but talent needs to be amplified by careful study and practice of specific skills."
-Essentials of Intentional Interviewing
Ivey, Ivey and Zalaquett pg. 9

We discussed in the last class meeting that it was likely that each student taking this class probably has some natural ability in listening skills and advice giving. I too, am the token go-to gal for decision making, venting, or objective opinion for friends and family alike. From grad school decision, to reviewing college applications, family interventions on behalf of my homosexual cousin, to simply, "why doesn't (insert name here) just marry me already?" I hear it all! I have even been deemed the only family member that can eloquently diffuse a difficult or awkward social situation or more plainly stated, from the mouth of my husband, I can talk to a brick wall. I know that my propensity toward counseling is apparent, so I am anxious and excited to learn the mircroskills that the book describes. Furthermore, the book shows these skills in a pyramid. This method is effective for my memory, for not only am I a visual learner, but the hierarchy illustrates that like a house needs a strong foundation, new counselors must work on the foundation first before attaining the capstone of personal style and theory.
Congruently, it seems only appropriate that ethics, multicultural competence and wellness be such a foundation. These topics seen common sense but the textbook is operative in turning the focus of the reader inward and into thinking critically about the issues. For example, in being mindful of the RESPECTFUL model, when interviewing a client but also, awareness that the client may also have some cultural biases that may need to be addressed before both counselor and client can move forward.
While of course, other skills like having multiple responses, intentional prediction and cultural intentionality are a bit overwhelming. As I read this section, I think, how I am going to prepare myself to keep all of these ideas at the forefront of my mind and still be mindful, listening, open and receiving? But, I am certain that with practice, these skills like so many others that are the building materials of a foundation will become second nature, lying in wait to assist my primary nature as listener, consultant, and all around sound advice guru.

No comments:

Post a Comment